Did Ed Snowden do the right thing?

Ryan Moore paniclater at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 11:08:21 MDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Steve Meyers <steve-plug at spwiz.com> wrote:

> My concern is just that others may see this as justification for petty
> vendettas.  That doesn't mean Snowden shouldn't do the right thing.  It just
> means I'm concerned that someone in the future might disclose things that
> really are a problem for national security.

I think it is probably right to be concerned about future leaks, but I
don't think that vilifying or praising Snowden's actions will have a
considerable impact on the number or nature of future leaks. I think
the best thing government agencies can do to prevent information that
threatens national security from being released is to control access
-- every expansion of our security / secrecy complexes increases the
number of people who have access and points of weakness in the system
itself. Scaling back can make the really important information more
secure. Simple systems are often easier to defend than complex ones.