Did Ed Snowden do the right thing?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 08:58:54 MDT 2013

On 06/10/2013 12:44 AM, Ryan Simpkins wrote:
> Did Mr. Snowden do the right thing by disclosing PRISM and similar programs to
> the world, or did he violate the trust of his employer, government, and fellow
> countrymen by reveling secrets that aught not to have been reveled?

Yes he did the right thing, and he very well could be an American hero.
However he absolutely did violate the trust of his employer and
government.  And he will have to face the consequences of those actions,
and hopefully through those consequences we'll be lulled out of
complacency and act to change things.  If he thinks otherwise, then he
hasn't quite thought things through.

People forget sometimes throughout history courageous men and women have
done the right thing, even when it meant civil disobedience, but were
willing to go to prison for their beliefs. Rosa Parks, for example, knew
full well she'd be prosecuted for riding on that bus, and even that
she'd be incarcerated, but she hoped her actions and her treatment,
trial, and incarceration would be a spark for change, and it was.

This week has been one of cognitive dissonance for me as I've come to
realize that the Tea Party is probably right about their view of
government, though at the same time as they got elected they became part
of the problem.  And my relatives forwarding supposed prophecies about
the constitution hanging by a thread (because the wrong lizard got
elected) were actually right, though no opposing vote will change this
situation.

This is a very good but sad take on the situation:
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/united-states/130607/what-if-journalists-covered-us-like-they-cover-world