Did Ed Snowden do the right thing?

Doran L. Barton fozz at hypermoo.com
Mon Jun 10 07:59:53 MDT 2013

On Monday, June 10, 2013 12:44:45 AM Ryan Simpkins wrote:
> Did Mr. Snowden do the right thing by disclosing PRISM and similar programs
> to the world, or did he violate the trust of his employer, government, and
> fellow countrymen by reveling secrets that aught not to have been reveled?

Snowden is a hero, our hero. He could have exposed any number of secrets that
would have crippled (if only temporarily) the government's intelligence
apparatus, but instead chose to reveal those aspects that infringe on the
rights of the US citizens.

Yes, he violated the trust of his employer(s), but he's one of the few who
apparently still understands those God-given or natural rights enumerated by
the Constitution that the government is supposed to respect and guaranty. What
he exposed is much bigger than the trust relationship between employer and
employee. It affects hundreds of millions' relationship with thier government.

--
Doran L. Barton <fozz at hypermoo.com> - Linux, Perl, Web, good fun, and more!
 "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands."