Bitcoins and gold standard dollars -- was Re: Anyone want to make a housecall?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 19:48:33 MDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM, Joshua Marsh <joshua at themarshians.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Levi Pearson <levipearson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So, like all things related to the government, there's a balance
>> that's been struck.  There's good reason for it, and it bears
>> considering *why* it's set up the way it is before you go and advocate
>> rearranging everything.
>>

> I can agree there needs to be some things kept secret. Clearly making
> military plans public is a bad idea. I see the pendulum swinging too far in
> the other direction though. More and more things are top secret, NSLs with
> mandatory gag orders are being issued by the tens of thousands to companies
> like Google, etc. Like I said before, I'm OK with the idea of a federal
> reserve system in general. I think they could be more transparent though.

I'm not sure it's really a pendulum; things are shifting in different
directions in different places.  There's far more transparency in a
lot of areas of Government, including the Fed, thanks to the Internet
and the ability to access public records from anywhere.  And to some
degree, I think that's why it seems that more and more 'top secret'
things are happening.  In the days before the Internet, we might never
hear about the secret things going on.  I do definitely take issue
with things like warrantless wiretaps and other such things justified
by the "war on terror" though, and I am fully behind making the
functioning of the government more transparent in general!

   --Levi