Bitcoins and gold standard dollars -- was Re: Anyone want to make a housecall?

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Tue Jun 4 03:04:11 MDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-06-03 at 23:21 -0500, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> More eyes don't always squash bugs.  I seem to remember a problem with
> OpenSSL awhile ago where someone was initializing a pointer to 0 or
> something when it was supposed to be there as a random value.  Ended up
> causing a major exploit and a huge mess.  More eyes would cause political
> pressure to decide one way or the other.

Bad example. You're citing the case were a Debian developer blindly
silenced a compiler warning without understanding the actual code. In
other words, it only affected Debian and its downstreams. There are many
eyes on upstream OpenSSL, few on distro-specific changes.

However, I do agree that "More eyes don't always squash bugs."