Bitcoins and gold standard dollars -- was Re: Anyone want to make a housecall?

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sun Jun 2 20:22:44 MDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-06-02 at 19:53 -0600, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-06-02 at 17:37 -0500, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> > Please elaborate.  I'm very interested.  I like knowing where I am wrong.
> > It makes me smarter. I'm a bit like a Pakled in that regard.
> > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708768/quotes
> > :)
>
> Unless you're a technology company, putting your money is a soft yellow
> mineral isn't much different than putting it under a mattress. Gold is
> more volatile, but both approaches are equally useless for a "free
> flowing" economy.

I should clarify: By technology company I mean using the gold to make
something useful like communication satellites, not jewelry or bars in a
vault.

It seems strange to me to group stocks and gold in the same category
while arbitrarily excluding "currency". What does that even mean?
Printed bills? Saving accounts? Where do money market funds fit in your
binary classification? How about certificates of deposit? Bonds?

I read your message multiple times trying to understand your point.
Finally I decided the problem was you were trying to present an
incoherent philosophy (meaning: self contradictory).

Most wealth is a fiction, but it's a multidimensional fiction. I think
you're trying to oversimplify.