Bitcoins and gold standard dollars -- was Re: Anyone want to make a housecall?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 17:55:22 MDT 2013

On Jun 1, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Bonez <sanchiro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Forgive my asking, and know that my question portends no doubt or rejection
> ... Just curious what your background is, Levi? Do you work in finance, or
> simply read a lot? I'd like to learn more about our us systems.

I work in the tech field, like most on the list, but I read a lot from a variety of places. There is an astounding amount of utter nonsense on the Internet, however, so it is necessary to be careful with the sources that you trust, and even then to read critically. Encyclopedias and Wikipedia are good jumping-off points for research, but forums and advocacy sites generally are not. If you look at comment threads or discussion forums, keep in mind that the people who comment there are not a representative sample of the population, and people will argue just as passionately for wrong things as they will right ones. Occasionally they will help to point out real flaws in reasoning or mistaken facts, though, so they are not completely worthless.

You may well come to different conclusions than me about how things work, but hopefully doing some of your own research will prevent you from falling for scams and scaremongering and help you better understand the things you're interested in.