DHCP leases

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Tue Jan 29 10:29:55 MST 2013

and by that he means that yes, the lease is exclusive for the lease time.  So be cause full to not give to long a lease time that all your IPs are exhausted with nobody using them.  When in doubt, shorter is better, though it will use your server more to keep handing them out (they request to extend the lease halfway through the time if they are still online, but you cannot get rid of an offline one for the entire lease time).

I used to have 3 days leases for public IPs and 30 day leases for private space (because I had tons of it).  Much less than two days can cause issues if your dhcp server goes down before you get into the office, and three days for weekends.

-Steve