DHCP leases

Joseph Hall perlhoser at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 10:24:49 MST 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Wade Shearer <wadeshearer.lists at me.com> wrote:
> Are DHCP leases exclusive (generally)? The point--as I understand it--is to remember which address each client receives so that they can be issued the same one each time they connect as long as they connect fairly consistently. The address isn't reserved for them exclusively (within the lease time) though, is it? Meaning, if connections become sparse and are new connection attempts denied because IPs are leased to non-connected clients, or is your IP given to someone else if you're not there?

I've come across this problem a few times in the past. When a server
hands out a lease, that lease is valid until it expires or is removed
from the server. If you run out of IPs, some DHCP servers allow you to
remove the lease on the server, but whenever I've seen that happen,
that's been the least of my worries. One temporary solution that I've
used is to reduce the lease time (say, from 3 days down to 1 day). But
that's only ever been temporary, and the only solid solution I've
found in those cases was to add more IPs.

--
"In order to create, you have to have the willingness, the desire to
be challenged, to be learning." -- Ferran Adria (speaking at Harvard,