vim for people who would rather not use vim

Brian Christiansen brian.o.christiansen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 23:48:02 MST 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Jonathan Duncan <
jonathan at bluesunhosting.com> wrote:

> On 26 Jan 2013, at 07:13, Stuart Jansen wrote:

> >> Call me a pedant, but this is foundational to Vim's greatness in my
> view.
> >
> > I would argue that true vim enlightenment is not achieved until you're
> > rarely using hjkl for movement. Instead search to move (/ or ? followed
> > by n or N) then take bigger steps using non-character-based movement. By
> > that I mean mostly: wb0^% but if you're editing prose it can also be
> > handy to use: (){}. And that just the basics, I still haven't trained
> > myself to use awesome movement commands like %.
> >
> > Rapid movement is one of the things that makes Vim the best general
> > purpose editors, but it's still just the tip of the iceberg. I can't
> > live without the dot command. Anything less than infinite undo is
> > crippled. I can't count the number of times I've taken advantage of
> > persistent yank buffers. Oh, and let's not forget how useful vertical
> > block mode can be. And that just the things I came up with in 30 seconds
> > without tapping into my spinal column to remember what else I love about
> > Vim.
> >
> > Okay c<motion>. Can't live without it. But really, I've got to stop
> > 'cause this could take the next half hour and I only consider myself an
> > intermediate Vim user.
> >

> I sense a PLUG presentation on Zen and the art of vim-fu.

I've got to add that ctags and the cscope vim plugin took my vim experience
to a whole new level. These along with buffers allow me to stay in vim
longer. The longer I'm in vim the better. I cringe when I see people go in
and out of files in the same source tree.

http://cscope.sourceforge.net/cscope_vim_tutorial.html