vim for people who would rather not use vim

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Sat Jan 26 21:22:03 MST 2013

On Jan 26, 2013, at 7:13 AM, Stuart Jansen wrote:

> I would argue that true vim enlightenment is not achieved until you're
> rarely using hjkl for movement. Instead search to move (/ or ? followed
> by n or N) then take bigger steps using non-character-based movement. By
> that I mean mostly: wb0^% but if you're editing prose it can also be
> handy to use: (){}. And that just the basics, I still haven't trained
> myself to use awesome movement commands like %.

I am a huge fan of % movement, which I use for languages that make heavy use of braces and parens, presently JavaScript. But then I started writing Python code full time. Now I'm stuck. I suspect Ruby poses the same problem for Vimmers.

Help us, Vim masters of the world: How to jump to the end of a Python block?

--Dave