Fun things comcast reps say - was Re: comcast alert

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 11:45:48 MST 2013

On 01/25/2013 06:17 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> With the advances in computers and robotics in recent years
> and the advances still to come, there will be a time in the near
> future where robots will in fact replace manual labor.

No they won't.  They never will.  I currently work in an industry with a
lot of technology and many labor-saving devices and technology that I
would never want to do without.  It used to be body-breaking in previous
centuries, and now is just simply very demanding.  Technology has
dramatically reduced the intensity and duration of manual labor but it
has not eliminated it, nor will it ever.  There are always cases where
someone has to actually get their hands dirty in just about any industry
including computers.  And as technology does more and more for us,
work-wise, it actually requires hard-working, smart humans to work with it.

I'm not saying that a job should be removed from a machine and given
back to a person (make work projects).  Technology can and should
replace manual labor where possible and it should enhance our ability to
do create, both physically and intellectually.

That's all the slashdot armchair philosophy I plan to do today.