vim for people who would rather not use vim

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sat Jan 26 07:13:02 MST 2013

On Sat, 2013-01-26 at 00:18 -0700, Dave Smith wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2013, at 11:39 PM, Tod Hansmann wrote:
>
> > Pedantic stuff like "you can't move with hjkl keys" aside,
>
> Call me a pedant, but this is foundational to Vim's greatness in my view.

I would argue that true vim enlightenment is not achieved until you're
rarely using hjkl for movement. Instead search to move (/ or ? followed
by n or N) then take bigger steps using non-character-based movement. By
that I mean mostly: wb0^% but if you're editing prose it can also be
handy to use: (){}. And that just the basics, I still haven't trained
myself to use awesome movement commands like %.

Rapid movement is one of the things that makes Vim the best general
purpose editors, but it's still just the tip of the iceberg. I can't
live without the dot command. Anything less than infinite undo is
crippled. I can't count the number of times I've taken advantage of
persistent yank buffers. Oh, and let's not forget how useful vertical
block mode can be. And that just the things I came up with in 30 seconds
without tapping into my spinal column to remember what else I love about
Vim.

Okay c<motion>. Can't live without it. But really, I've got to stop
'cause this could take the next half hour and I only consider myself an
intermediate Vim user.