vim for people who would rather not use vim

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Fri Jan 25 18:26:28 MST 2013

On 1/24/2013 9:41 AM, Lonnie Olson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 1:32 AM, AJ ONeal <coolaj86 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But seriously: vi is hard.
> In my experience any command line editor that is powerful enough to
> get real work done is hard to learn at first.  (vi, emacs, etc)
> The other editors (pico, nano, etc) don't even come close to the
> capability of the first group.
I have yet to run into anything as a text editor vim can do that nano
can not save it be multi-file screen splitting stuff (like windowing,
but not).  Nano doesn't even attempt.  Nano is not as powerful, I don't
dispute that, but I think it comes a lot closer than you're giving it
credit for, and it's great for editing config files on servers I share
logins to.  I can't have my vimrc on shared boxes.

Well, I could, but I'm not a jerk in that particular area.

-Tod Hansmann