Fun things comcast reps say - was Re: comcast alert

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Fri Jan 25 18:01:20 MST 2013

On 01/25/2013 04:51 PM, Daniel C. wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Michael Torrie<torriem at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> <offtopic><philosophicalrant>
>> All that said, and this is now firmly off-topic, I've come to believe
>> the old story of the man telling his kids, you get an education so you
>> don't have to dig ditches like I do, is ultimately harming our society
>> irreparably.  We need ditches dug.  We need cars built, we need food. We
>> need truck drivers.  We need someone to call the cable internet service
>> is out, or when a device needs warranty service.  Work is a good thing.
>>   I'm not sure our society has been well served by the focus on a
>> knowledge economy (though we need programmers and sysadmins for sure!)
>> at the expense of an economy that creates products and goods.
>> </philosophicalrant></offtopic>
> You're essentially describing the situation that has culminated in
> hipsters on food stamps and the Occupy movement.  An entire generation
> of kids were told to get a degree if they didn't want to flip burgers,
> and now that they have degrees and the jobs they were promised aren't
> materializing they're being told "Well, don't be too proud to flip
> burgers."
hipsters on food stamps, yes, but what I've seen of Occupy, I'd be
surprised to see a GED out of most of them.

> It's tempting to blame them for getting degrees in useless crap (which
> is pretty much where I would put any non-STEM, non-service (i.e.
> lawyer, doctor, etc.) degree) but they didn't ask to be duped into
> taking out loans and wasting four years of their lives based on a lie
> that was believed by everyone and is still believed by many.
One of our best sysops graduated with a degree in philosophy.  I won't
mention he also got 4 minors (math, computer science, logic, and English).

> Also I think I might be a bad person for being more curious about what
> the cultural outcome of this generational angst, shock and rage will
> be than I am compassionate toward the people who are suffering through
> it right now.

You and me both brother.  I'm hoping the disappearance of the middle
class will mean the middle becomes the lower-upper class.  I'll admit,
that could just be wishful thinking on my part.  The good news is, my
last estimate of college expense for my son came out at about $120k,
tuition only, in the next 10 years.  So I don't think this problem of
plowing out BS of BS degrees will last much longer.  Maybe that's why we
have all these Internet video degree programs popping up.