Fun things comcast reps say - was Re: comcast alert

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Fri Jan 25 17:48:02 MST 2013

On 01/25/2013 04:31 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> <offtopic><philosophicalrant> All that said, and this is now firmly
> off-topic, I've come to believe the old story of the man telling his
> kids, you get an education so you don't have to dig ditches like I do,
> is ultimately harming our society irreparably. We need ditches dug. We
> need cars built, we need food. We need truck drivers. We need someone
> to call the cable internet service is out, or when a device needs
> warranty service. Work is a good thing. I'm not sure our society has
> been well served by the focus on a knowledge economy (though we need
> programmers and sysadmins for sure!) at the expense of an economy that
> creates products and goods. </philosophicalrant></offtopic>

I've had the same thought cross my mind a time or two.  Like why is it
that we have so many educated people (be it business, technology, etc),
rising consumer prices, and so many people out of work, yet no savvy
Schindler has stepped in to put it all together and get those
out-of-work people making pots and door hinges.  Theres a need for
product, as seen by the rising consumer prices, and a surplus of
employables; this has the potential for profit.  Unless the potential
fails to consider other conditions.

I'd have to say that the public policy environment is most likely the
problem.  Otherwise, we'd have never started off-shoring things in the
first place.  It's cheaper to let somebody else somewhere else do the
production than deal with the lawyering, and bureaucratic pontificating
about the color of one's carbon footprint, and the smell of the minimum
wage and benefits packages.

Not to mention dealing with the revolving door of people that just don't
want to stay in one type of ditch-digging, or that want to get paid for
ditch-digging, but don't want to do the digging part.  For instance, my
extended family owns a drywall company.  They have several teams, some
Americans, some Mexican immigrants (legal ones).  The last recession we
had, the home-grown Americans would whine and complain about the work
they had to do.  It was too hard to sheetrock one house a week.  The
Mexican immigrants would do the whole house, in half a day, with better
quality work, and be asking for another house to do.  What's the
difference?  I don't think it's that we have overstressed a knowledge
economy over blood-sweat-and-tears.  I think it's that our people
haven't worked hard in their lives, and they aren't about to start now.

When I was growing up, you'd flip your matchbox cars over, and they
would be made in Mexico, or Taiwan.  Every now and again, you'd see one
made in the USA.  Now it seems the majority of products are coming from
China.  The factories there have a government quota they have to meet,
and anything extra they are allowed to sell to market countries.  Rumor
I'm hearing is that the Chinese people are tired of factory
work/conditions, and are heading back to family farms instead, with the
result being a shift in manual labor to Vietnam.  Once Vietnam wises up,
we'll shift production to some other country, and so on.  We'll hit rock
bottom when it's finally cheaper to produce here.  When the policy
climate is ready, and when the people are ready to work.  I don't know
when that will be, but you'll be able to recognize when Wyoming starts
exporting fireworks to China.