Fun things comcast reps say - was Re: comcast alert

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 16:51:07 MST 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> <offtopic><philosophicalrant>
> All that said, and this is now firmly off-topic, I've come to believe
> the old story of the man telling his kids, you get an education so you
> don't have to dig ditches like I do, is ultimately harming our society
> irreparably.  We need ditches dug.  We need cars built, we need food. We
> need truck drivers.  We need someone to call the cable internet service
> is out, or when a device needs warranty service.  Work is a good thing.
>  I'm not sure our society has been well served by the focus on a
> knowledge economy (though we need programmers and sysadmins for sure!)
> at the expense of an economy that creates products and goods.
> </philosophicalrant></offtopic>

You're essentially describing the situation that has culminated in
hipsters on food stamps and the Occupy movement.  An entire generation
of kids were told to get a degree if they didn't want to flip burgers,
and now that they have degrees and the jobs they were promised aren't
materializing they're being told "Well, don't be too proud to flip
burgers."

It's tempting to blame them for getting degrees in useless crap (which
is pretty much where I would put any non-STEM, non-service (i.e.
lawyer, doctor, etc.) degree) but they didn't ask to be duped into
taking out loans and wasting four years of their lives based on a lie
that was believed by everyone and is still believed by many.

Also I think I might be a bad person for being more curious about what
the cultural outcome of this generational angst, shock and rage will
be than I am compassionate toward the people who are suffering through
it right now.

-Dan