vim for people who would rather not use vim

Daniel Hanson daniel.hanson82 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 09:10:47 MST 2013

I suppose an apology for the 4 minutes to get out statement is an order.  I
had the convenience of learning it at home with tutorials and the tutor so
our first run-ins were different for sure.  Vi or Vim definitely appears to
be a sure thing on any Unix/Linux machine I've encountered and emacs is a
dice roll.  I know both are very powerful but after doing a trial of both,
I got hooked on vim.  Definitely makes going through config files and such
on a server a breeze.  I think the more beginners tutorials out there the
better because there is certainly a learning curve but once you learn it
you find you are rarely reaching for your pointing device.  Also, carries
over if you install vimium or other plugins for the browser as well as
apvlv (Alph's Pdf Viewer Like Vim) for pdf's and at home I'm using either
xmonad or i3wm (tiling window managers with vi/vim like bindings).  Good
stuff!