vim for people who would rather not use vim

AJ ONeal coolaj86 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 01:32:40 MST 2013

> Heresy!  Nano is what people use until they convert to either vim or emacs
> On Jan 23, 2013 10:09 PM, "Tod Hansmann" <plug.org at todandlorna.com> wrote:
>
> > On 1/23/2013 7:48 PM, Daniel Hanson wrote:
> > > Why would anybody not want to use the most awesome text editor ever!?
> > >
> > The blog is about vim, not nano.

I'm not advocating that vim is the best editor (the evidence stands for
itself and nothing I can say or do will make it better - it's already
better).

Again:

*The bare minimum you need to know in a world where vim exists and vi is
> sometimes your only option.*

All computers with operating systems have vi installed, but not every
operating system is emacs. It's one of those square / rectangle deals,
y'know?

Does nano even have code highlighting or plugins?

But seriously: vi is hard.

It took a while for me to warm up to it. Having the experience of opening
it up by mistake and having to reboot your server because you're such a
noob that you don't know what else to do is a mistake that really hurts you
emotionally and leaves a scar... all the other kids mocking you with "AJ
can't figure out how to close vi, AJ can't figure out how to close vi!"

It takes a lot of forgiveness to get over that.

So if all you ever figure out with vi is how to get out of it without
breaking anything, at least you can't hate it.