Screencast on Amazon VPS

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Tue Jan 22 22:02:24 MST 2013

On 22 Jan 2013, at 00:32, AJ ONeal wrote:

> For those of you that don't know, Amazon AWS EC2 offers a year of their
> smallest tier server instance (meaning VPS) for free.
>
> The interface is a little difficult to navigate, but I've got a rundown
> with screencast here:
> http://blog.coolaj86.com/articles/getting-started-with-amazon-aws-ec2-1-year-free-vps-web-hosting.html
>
> You do get a monthly invoice, but all the fees will be rebated (so the
> balance is $0) as long you don't exceed 10GiB of bandwidth transfer or
> excessive disk writes.
>
> Also, when you're doing screencasts or tutorials, it's great to be able to
> fire up a virgin instance for the OS of your choice within just a few
> seconds and then test that your instructions work on a clean install.

I can vouch for the AWS VPS.  The mini works great.  I even ran a minecraft server on one for a year and it worked well.  Great way to start a project or business startup.  While learning how to interface with the AWS products has bit of a learning curve, I have found that the journey is worth it.  I really enjoy the AWS products.

Also, on this topic, there is a Utah Valley AWS User Group that was started.  Has not really taken off, but there are several people on the list that at least post every now and again.  If you are interested:

http://groups.google.com/group/uvawsug

Jonathan