A simple way to maintain a static web presence?

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Mon Jan 14 18:56:30 MST 2013

On 01/13/2013 12:16 AM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So I've decided to go with an RDP or VNC tunneled over SSH.
> However I have a dynamic IP address.
>
> I remember years ago there was a service you could install that if
> your IP address changed it would change a DNS record at a free DNS
> service for you.
> The problem is I'm now drawing a blank.  The desktop is running an
> ubuntu variant, but I'd prefer an init script that doesn't require gui
> interaction and will start at boot.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice!

I've used dyndns and gotdns in the past, but both seemed to eventually
add hurdles to keeping a free account, or eliminated the free part
entirely.

For the past few years I've had some log reports going to me email.  I
just got my current IP from the email headers and haven't needed a
dynamic dns since.  If I ever get to the point that I'm too lazy to use
my email headers, I figure I'll just pay for a static IP (or get an IP6
address for free) and register it somewhere, and forget about it.

;-Daniel Fussell