A simple way to maintain a static web presence?

Chris plug.org at 2nerds.com
Mon Jan 14 14:35:06 MST 2013

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 12:16 AM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com>wrote:

> So I've decided to go with an RDP or VNC tunneled over SSH.

If you happen to use TightVNC's vncviewer and your desktop seems painfully
slow over vnc, be mindful of the encoding method negotiated by the server
and client.

I've been running vnc sessions over ssh tunnels for years and suffered for
many moons before I noticed that "raw" is vncviewer's default encoding
method for local connections--which an ssh tunnel appears to be.  Raw is
great for real local connections because it avoids useless
compression/decompression overhead, but it's about the worst possible
choice for a vnc session that goes over a network.  (This information is in
the man page but it's buried so deep that I didn't notice it for a
painfully long time.)

When running over a tunneled connection, I now launch vncviewer with the
"-encodings copyrect tight" option, which forces it to prefer encoding
algorithms that are the defaults for non-local connections.

Not sure if this applies to vnc clients other than TightVNC.