Recommendation for Intro to Bash (and Linux)?

Levi Pearson levipearson at
Mon Jan 14 01:05:16 MST 2013

On Jan 14, 2013, at 12:45 AM, AJ ONeal <coolaj86 at> wrote:

> When I was growing up Running Linux by O'Reilly was the best book money
> could buy for an intro to Linux.
> Is it still the best? Or is something else particularly noteworthy?

Do people still buy that sort of book? It seems to me that the bash bits will probably be about the same today, and all the miscellaneous bits that aren't the same are so volatile over time and between distros that attempting to publish a book about them would be an exercise in futility.

For my learning, I turn to books for theory stuff and to web pages, magazines, man pages and source code for practical implementation details.