Best way to do remote development?

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Sat Jan 12 13:01:00 MST 2013

On 12 Jan 2013, at 00:25, S. Dale Morrey wrote:

> I do quite a bit of software development and now I've picked up some
> clients that would like me to travel rather frequently to meet them.
> This has got me in the market for a new laptop, but I don't have a lot
> of extra money right now.
> My older laptop would be just fine except that it doesn't have the
> power to run a modern full blown development environment.
> The other problem with traveling with a laptop (especially a new one),
> is that if it gets stolen you lose all your files.

Multiple Data Backup targets
- local external backup (usb drive is common), backup often and a stolen laptop will not lose much, unless they also take the external backup.
- DropBox, put your dev files in a DropBox folder and everything you do is synced.  Every computer you log into will have the same files.  It is very handy.
- Full Online Backup:  CrashPlan, Mozy, even dropbox could be a backup solution.  Or roll your own with rsync and a remote server or S3 or even Glacier.

I have tried remote development and I just find it cumbersome.  Developing locally is so much quicker and easier.  Even if I have to provision a new laptop I would much prefer local than remote.  That is my own preference though.  I hope you find something that works for you.