Best way to do remote development?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 11:17:50 MST 2013

On 01/12/2013 08:51 AM, Alan Young wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 7:38 AM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm an IDE addict, things like code completion and other bells and
>> whistles are important to me.
>> The latency introduced from an RDP connection to my already overtaxed
>> desktop, over the anemic upload speeds of my ISP, would virtually
>> guarantee the remainder of my hair falling out ;)
>
> Vim has all of that.  I gather emacs does too.  If you're dead-set on
> a graphical environment, setting up a vps (linode, or aws, or
> whatever) and using vnc is a solution.  X forwarding is another
> solution.

You might also try using opennx client and the freenx server.  It's as
fast as X can get over a remote link.  Or at least use freenx to speed
up a VNC connection.  The only thing about FreeNX and a real X11 desktop
that I don't like is that anytime you get disconnected it leaves the X11
processes frozen, and if you're lucky you can reconnect to them and they
will run again.  With the VNC solution (with or without FreeNX), at
least they keep running without you.

I agree with Alan, and other, though.  If you're going to work remotely,
you need to ditch the IDE.  ssh, tmux, vim are going to be your fastest
tools.  You just aren't going to enjoy running an IDE remotely.

Also you'll probably want to use good version control tools (git), and
then you can pull your code down locally to work on, then check it in,
etc.  Put your clients on version control too so you can easily check
out new code to their sites.

> But, honestly, in any solution that has you logging in remotely
> requires your gaining at least minimal knowledge of system
> administration and security.

True enough.