Best way to do remote development?

Joseph Hall perlhoser at
Sat Jan 12 07:38:20 MST 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 12:25 AM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me more about my options?  A self managed server would
> be great, but like I said, I know enough to know it was insecure, but
> not enough to know how I should properly secure it and still allow me
> to login from anywhere.

In both my old Perl days and my current Python days, Linode, vim and
an Internet connection have been perfect. When I know Internet is
going to be less than optimal (or available), most of my work can be
done locally on my old laptop, and git keeps everything synced. One
day I even did a few hours of work on my Raspberry Pi, which cannot be
said to be any kind of speed demon, but it's more than fast enough for
vim and git.

"In order to create, you have to have the willingness, the desire to
be challenged, to be learning." -- Ferran Adria (speaking at Harvard,