Best Linux Laptop

Joseph Hall perlhoser at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 07:32:11 MST 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Jeff Jibson <jeff.jibson at parentlink.net> wrote:
> I will avoid HP like the plague....
>
> For a smaller laptop, I have really like my Acer 1810t...

On that note, I will never give buy an ASUS notebook. A few jobs ago,
I was purchased what I assume to be a very expensive gaming notebook.
It had a fancy paint job on it, and a nifty LED display just above the
keyboard, and that's where anything awesome ended. The "monster sound"
speakers were crap, the screen wasn't great, and I was endlessly
annoyed by the POST sound being an explosion that couldn't be turned
off without crippling all system sounds. Linux support was horrific. I
was into Ubuntu at the time, and I never could get it installed.
RHEL/CentOS would install, but I had no network support, but I finally
did manage to get Fedora running (with partial network support). At
some point early on, I upgraded the kernel, and the screen got
progressively darker with each reboot. I never did get used to the
keyboard.

I ended up just switching back to my personal Thinkpad for pretty much
everything but company email, some surfing, and the occasional
resource-intensive job that I didn't want running on my own computer
(which was slower, but significantly more functional). I was sad to
leave that job, but not the notebook which, by that point, hadn't even
been powered on for several months.

Still running the same Thinkpad, though.

--
"In order to create, you have to have the willingness, the desire to
be challenged, to be learning." -- Ferran Adria (speaking at Harvard,