Best Linux Laptop

Joseph Hall perlhoser at
Mon Jan 7 07:32:11 MST 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Jeff Jibson <jeff.jibson at> wrote:
> I will avoid HP like the plague....
> For a smaller laptop, I have really like my Acer 1810t...

On that note, I will never give buy an ASUS notebook. A few jobs ago,
I was purchased what I assume to be a very expensive gaming notebook.
It had a fancy paint job on it, and a nifty LED display just above the
keyboard, and that's where anything awesome ended. The "monster sound"
speakers were crap, the screen wasn't great, and I was endlessly
annoyed by the POST sound being an explosion that couldn't be turned
off without crippling all system sounds. Linux support was horrific. I
was into Ubuntu at the time, and I never could get it installed.
RHEL/CentOS would install, but I had no network support, but I finally
did manage to get Fedora running (with partial network support). At
some point early on, I upgraded the kernel, and the screen got
progressively darker with each reboot. I never did get used to the

I ended up just switching back to my personal Thinkpad for pretty much
everything but company email, some surfing, and the occasional
resource-intensive job that I didn't want running on my own computer
(which was slower, but significantly more functional). I was sad to
leave that job, but not the notebook which, by that point, hadn't even
been powered on for several months.

Still running the same Thinkpad, though.

"In order to create, you have to have the willingness, the desire to
be challenged, to be learning." -- Ferran Adria (speaking at Harvard,