Best Linux Laptop

Doran L. Barton fozz at hypermoo.com
Sat Jan 5 19:56:54 MST 2013

On Saturday, January 05, 2013 02:22:36 PM Stuart Jansen wrote:
> I love my T61p, but it's gotten a bit long in the tooth. What would you
> recommend as a replacement? My priorities are:
>
> - Linux compatibility
> - build quality
> - rocking warranty
> - high resolution screen

I requested and got a T520 at work with 1920x1080 screen, i7 CPU, and 9-cell
battery. I've been happy with it for the most part. The Optimus video thing
was kind of a bummer for me, but it hasn't kept me from using the laptop. For
those of you who don't know what Optimus is, it's a system that combines a
lean video chipset (Intel) with a power-hungry, high-performance chipset
(NVidia) with Windows drivers that let them work together seamlessly.

The T520 BIOS lets you pick Discrete, Onboard, or Optimus. Discrete works
sometimes, but the Onboard setting works all the time and it delivers enough
performance I can do pretty much everything I need.

There is an open source project to provide Optimus functionality to the Linux
kernel. It's called Bumblebee: <http://bumblebee-project.org/> I have meant to
play with it, but I haven't yet.

I don't know how well the Asus UX31 ultrabook works with Linux, but I've been
curious to find out. It looks sweet.

--
Doran L. Barton <fozz at hypermoo.com> - Linux, Perl, Web, good fun, and more!
 "I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"