Best Linux Laptop

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Sat Jan 5 14:51:40 MST 2013

I'll be replacing my machine early next year, and have not been impressed with any of the options on the market right now.

I bought a W510 a couple of years ago and it has been a good machine, though not as solid as my T61p. The screen is great, and I really like the keyboard and three-button touchpad. But it tends to run hot, and the Linux support is not flawless like the T61 was.

I have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of Lenovo support. Hold times have always been pretty short, and they sent a field technician to replace the fan assembly for me when I first got the machine (it helped, but it still runs hot).

Build quality for the Lenovo's appears to be getting worse over the years. I really liked my Thinkpad Tablet until a month after the warranty expired when the power button failed. Reading on the forums, it looks like shoddy connectors on the motherboard that only outlasted the warranty because I was careful with the device. <arg>

I'm thinking about getting my next laptop from System76:

https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/bonx6

It looks comparable to my current machine, and cheaper than what I paid Lenovo. I bought a nettop from System76 that has served well (https://richard.esplins.org/siwi/2011/11/26/system76-shows-promise/). I really love having perfect Linux support. They aren't staffed for 24x7 global on-site support, but they were very helpful the two times I needed to call them (once was just to find out specs for a memory expansion because I was too lazy to crack the case).

I hope you share the results of your research.

Richard