Debian 6.0.6 and Encrypted LVM

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Sat Jan 5 14:38:04 MST 2013

There are two ways to do encryption: only your home directory, or the whole physical drive. I always do whole drive encryption.

I think the graphical installer only encrypts the home directories. The alternate installer (ncurses) can do whole disk encryption. Here is a tutorial that documents how I remember the process goes:

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/01/01/how-to-install-linux-mint-debian-edition-on-an-encrypted-lvm-file-system/

Page 3 has a good screenshot of how it should look when it asks for your passphrase during bootup (text-only).

Adding encryption after the installation isn't very difficult. I used this guide last time I did it (start with step 4):

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63376&p=652798&hilit=encryption#p652798

(BTW, Linux Mint Debian Edition is a very nice distribution.)

Good luck,

Richard