Best Linux Laptop

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sat Jan 5 14:22:36 MST 2013

I love my T61p, but it's gotten a bit long in the tooth. What would you
recommend as a replacement? My priorities are:

- Linux compatibility
- build quality
- rocking warranty
- high resolution screen

Note that price and weight aren't major concerns. I'm willing to pay
around $3000 if I can get high quality and a four year warranty. And I
doubt anything will ever again tip the scales like my old HP zv5000.

I've looked and looked but nothing available today seems to compare to
the T61p. I have a 17" MBP for work and the build quality is decent, but
the keyboard and trackpad are meh, and Apple's warranty options are only
okayish not rocking. Lenovo's W540 looks decent but a step below my
beloved T61p. Nothing from HP or Dell inspires me. What have I missed?