Backing Up Everything to Removable Disks

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Mon Feb 25 18:21:20 MST 2013

I use rsnapshot as a layer over rsync so that I wouldn't have to figure out the rsync options on my own. It was quick to setup including remote SSH logins and exclude options. I like that restore is as simple as browsing the directory. It is all CLI driven, so it is easy to script. I think it's a good option for point-in-time scripted backups (daily / weekly / monthly / yearly), rather than continuous.

I haven't tried this with Windows servers, but I would expect you could get it to work as long as you can get a somewhat standard implementation of rsync + SSH on them through Cygwin, UnxUtils, Windows Services for Unix, or whatever Windows people use these days.

Thanks to Jessie's comment on this thread, I will be checking out BackInTime as well.

Richard

On Monday February 25 2013 16:26:03 Alan Evans <alanwevans at gmail.com> wrote:
> I used to use cron and rsync.
<snip>

> > On Monday, February 25, 2013 15:56:23 Tod Hansmann wrote:
> >> I'm looking at replacing work's current tape backup system.
<snip>
> >> (As an aside, seriously, backup software sucks, especially in the restore
> >> area.  What ever happened to backing up files and then just giving me a
> >> dialog to choose what files and what timeslice I wanted to restore them
> >> to?  Why is that so difficult for backup vendors to get?)
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> -Tod Hansmann
<snip>