Backing Up Everything to Removable Disks

Alan Evans alanwevans at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 16:26:03 MST 2013

I used to use cron and rsync.

The --copy-dest --link-dest options allow for some really really
interesting options.

rsync --copy-dest /path/to/dailybackup server:/ /path/to/fullbackup
rsync --compare-dest /path/to/fullbackup server:/ /path/to/dailybackup

copy-dest/compare-dest options allow you to compare against a third
location and copy/link to it appropriately.

So for above the copy dest says copy from the most recent daily and
the source server to /path/to/fullbackup.
The compare-dest then said look at this directory and the source
server and only copy files not in either.  If there are deltas it uses
the local compare-dest to source the file.

The result was a weekly full backup and a daily incremental backup.

I backed up NetWare servers over 768k links like this for years.  It
took FOREVER for the first backups to occur but once I got the first
full done the dailies and subsequent weeklies took < 1-2 hrs.

After getting the files to disk I put them on tape and I was in a
situation like you where my backups spanned multiple tapes so I copied
each weekly to tape which took 2 days but since I could run it during
the day it didn't matter.  Then each subsequent daily went on a single
tape each day.

I had two tape drives, an LTO-2 for the weeklies and an LTO-1 that I
ran the dailies to.  I just used BackupExec to do those one day after
their corresponding cron jobs.  The weekly took 2 days to put on tape
but since once rsync was done the files were just sitting there on the
disk it didn't matter.  I would pop a tape in Friday, Monday
BackupExec would start copying the fulls to tape.  Some time Monday
night it would ask for another tape which I would insert Tuesday.  The
full finished Tuesday before I left which meant I could take them off
site.

HTH
-Alan