Data Deduplication File Systems

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 11:12:53 MST 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM, DANIEL DAVID EGLI <ddavidegli at gmail.com>wrote:

... <stuff about de-dup filesystems snipped> ...

>  I think it could be especially handy on my
> MythTV box because when you get all these commercials over and over the
> system would only need to store the entire video sequence for the
> commercial once. That's handy because as an example I was watching
> Underworld on spike Saturday night and must have seen the same commercials
> for places like Burger King over and over. If I'm going to record shows I
> like the idea of not having to save that space.

... <more stuff snipped> ...

I'm not sure what the current state of it is, but MythTV has a built-in
commercial flagging system that (at least when I used it) was reasonably
effective at finding the locations of commercials.  It's also got a
built-in editor that lets you manually set/remove these flags and also cut
out chunks from the stream.  If you are planning on archiving shows you've
recorded, this cuts down on the storage requirements a bit and also makes
the future viewing experience more pleasant.  I would not enable auto-skip
or auto-deletion of commercials, though, as it had false positives often
enough that you'd be scratching your head a lot at lost context in your
shows.

       --Levi