Data Deduplication File Systems

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Mon Feb 25 09:34:46 MST 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM, DANIEL DAVID EGLI
<ddavidegli at gmail.com> wrote:
> *Question for you guys. Someone recently told me about a new set of Linux
> file systems that include data-deduplication.

The only filesystem on Linux that I know has deduplication and I would
dare use in production is ZFS.
ZFS also would add some other features that would fit well with a
media storage server as well.

Our awesome Aaron Toponce has written a great set of articles all about it.
http://pthree.org/2012/04/17/install-zfs-on-debian-gnulinux/

There are concerns about how much space you would save, as Tod was
referring to.  It would depend on the block size and alignment of the
commercials across the blocks that the filesystem would be comparing.