Asterisk vs FreeSwitch?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 20:09:45 MST 2013

On 02/23/2013 07:15 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> Someone mentioned sipgate.  Looks like they aren't accepting new
> customers anymore.
> https://secure.sipgate.com/register/unavailable
>
> That's unfortunate, it would have been a god send as a backup phone
> for me and my family.

I was fortunate to get an account years ago.  For the last few years I
lived in Utah, I used google voice with a cell phone and sipgate with a
SPA3102 for all my calls.  Outbound calling for free was wonderful.  I
switched my cell phone to prepaid and ended up paying maybe $15 to $20 a
month.  No data on the cell of course.

Now that I'm in Alberta, since google voice supports Alberta phone
numbers (but no other Canadian phone numbers) I still use google voice a
lot, though with a land line and my cell phone.

off-topic, but before I moved out to a rural area, I never really valued
a landline much. But now talk of telcos abandoning landlines, and many
telcos not completing rural calls (illegally I might add) worries me. I
realize out here how important a land line really is to many people
outside core urban areas.  Our local telco up here wants to replace
landlines with voip over wimax, but judging by how unreliable wireless
is, that would be really shaft us customers.  I guess their long term
plan is to push all to exclusively using cell phones (which honestly is
what most of us on this list probably have done for years).  Yes a
cell-only is convenient, but I worry about emergencies.