Asterisk vs FreeSwitch?

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Sat Feb 23 17:35:21 MST 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Steve Alligood <steve at betterlinux.com> wrote:
> Your biggest difference is that asterisk has been around a long time, has a lot of community support, and a ton of add-on type apps.
>
> Freeswitch is a lessons learned from asterisk type of thing, redesigned from the ground up, makes more sense under the hood if you do a lot of custom work with it, etc, but a lot less add ons, community knowledge, etc.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment.

I'll spare you a long reply, but I will say that I love Asterisk and
FreeSWITCH.  I used them both long before they each hit their 1.0.  I
love Asterisk for changing the landscape and being so disruptive
(initially). I love FreeSWITCH for it's flexibility and power.

If you're really serious about it, both deserve your thoughtful consideration.

Happy hacking.

Gabe