Asterisk vs FreeSwitch?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 09:36:16 MST 2013

On 02/22/2013 11:03 PM, Tod Hansmann wrote:
> Where
> FreeSWITCH gets into trouble is their community is much more "rtfm" and
> less hand-holdy than Asterisk, though several of the community are more
> than friendly, and they REALLY know their stuff for the most part.

Several years ago I had occasion to ask a few questions on the asterisk
IRC channel and I found at least one of their main "experts" to be
extremely RTFM-ish.  He kept telling me I didn't know what I was talking
about, when in fact it was he who didn't understand what I was asking.
When I pushed back a bit he got all angry and basically said what I
wanted to do was stupid anyways.  Really soured me to asterisk.

I've since learned that Asterisk really sucks at what I wanted to do.
Basically I wanted to have a dialplan that could take a number, say BYU
phone numbers, and turn them into url-based addresses
(number at sip.byu.edu) but pass them through a sip provider trunk instead
of talking to sip.byu.edu directly.  Unfortunately Asterisk just cannot
deal with urls in their dialplans.  It's a major weakness in asterisk,
though an understandable one since telephones have number pads only
typically.  Anyay on IRC I was told to just use sip.byu.edu as a trunk
and places the calls directly (since sip.byu.edu knows what to do with
the numbers).  The folks on IRC berated me for even wanting to do what I
needed to do.  Just fix my stupid firewall he said (which was outside my
control).

Of course if BYU actually registered their numbers with the ENUM service
(DNS for SIP), then I could have simply used, say, sipgate.com as a
trunk and they could use ENUM to figure out a no-cost dialing path.  But
since BYU doesn't (or hadn't at the time) I was kind of stuck.