Asterisk vs FreeSwitch?

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Fri Feb 22 23:03:45 MST 2013

I will weigh in here a bit.  Asterisk has a lot of community support for
the simple stuff, and a lot of docs for many of the more advanced
stuff.  You will run into a paywall if you want to do anything fancy
with some things.  Scalability isn't there as much. You have good distro
support of asterisk too, and you get some lib flexibility, somewhat.

FreeSWITCH has much better performance and scalability, and as far as I
can tell they support a lot more platforms if that's your thing.  I
haven't checked if Asterisk has caught up at all on that front.  Where
FreeSWITCH gets into trouble is their community is much more "rtfm" and
less hand-holdy than Asterisk, though several of the community are more
than friendly, and they REALLY know their stuff for the most part.
Documentation is largely a wiki (though they have a book that's slightly
outdated but very applicable, and I recommend it).  They use their own
libs for the most part and you will be best to compile your own from
scratch (takes a bit), but I never found that to be a problem.  You can
even stick on the latest git master branch and they keep it quite
stable.  Some bugs that have crept in tend to affect edge cases, and get
fixed very quickly.

The biggest difference to me is that Asterisk is a PBX, and FreeSWITCH
is a softswitch.  You can flexibility to do things more than just a PBX
if you want with FreeSWITCH.  You can run either on your OpenWRT box,
last I checked.  They both suck for anything more than your home on that
platform, but it's there.  FreeSWITCH can easily be extended via modular
addons to do all sorts of things with audio streams, and they have a
great deal of commercial entities using them for bigger projects, so
interop is nice for a lot of SIP Trunk providers.

Oh, and you will run into trouble with protocols a bit.  Asterisk has
really always pushed their IAX protocols, where people in the rest of
the industry are standardizing on SIP (as much as they can).  Both
protocols have their strengths and weaknesses, but it doesn't matter
really because SIP is king hands down in usage.  If you want to talk to
other boxes (you do) you should probably stick with SIP purely.
Asterisk can still do that, but it's less encouraged in many places.
That may be making it sound like a worse problem than it is, and I'm not
trying to, but the problem exists in some small form just the same.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

-Tod Hansmann