Asterisk vs FreeSwitch?

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Fri Feb 22 10:24:20 MST 2013

I haven't looked at freeswitch in over a year since I run an asterisk server that has been online for years.  freeswitch claims better uptime, and I know if you don't run the LTS branch of asterisk you are in for some good releases and some bad releases.

Most of the security patches for asterisk have been pretty quick, though they tend to dump their dev tree to the new release rather than just patching the broken piece, which has caused some really bad headaches and stability issues when patching for a security issue.  Most of the security issues are outsiders connecting to the asterisk protocols (obviously) so for my environment I lock down SIP and IAX2 to only those IPs that need it, and do not let the world connect to my asterisk.  It gets tricky sometimes, and I even setup some scripts to do dyndns IP rules for the phones.  It isn't perfect, but any extra layer is good.

I do not know freeswitch's security history or speed of patching, etc.

-Steve