Subject: TV Tuner Q's

Steve Meyers steve-plug at spwiz.com
Fri Feb 22 08:35:17 MST 2013

On 2/21/13 11:45 PM, DANIEL DAVID EGLI wrote:
> *I'm getting ready to design a MythTV box. I have most of the hardware
> picked out, but I'm looking for some recommendations on TV Tuners. I prefer
> USB tuners as they are likely a lot easier to deal with when dealing with
> multiple tuners in the same machine, and given a simple USB hub can be
> stacked to MythTV's maximum number of controllable tuners easily (which is
> what, by the way? Anyone really know?), but PCIe are ok as well, IF you can
> get multiple tuners on one card (like the old WinTV PVR500 cards that had
> two tuners on a single PCI card.

The SiliconDust HDHomeRun is a reasonably priced dual OTA tuner.  It
connects via ethernet, and I've heard of people with many of them.  It
will not work for DirecTV.  If you choose to use Comcast, then you can
use the HDHomeRun Prime, which is similar but has 3 digital cable tuners.

I have Dish, and use the Hauppauge HD PVR.  It's a USB device with
component in, and will encode your HD signal into MPEG-4.  It only has
one input.  I use the CommandIR to send the IR signals to my Dish set
top box, as the cheaper serial IR blaster I was using previously was
unreliable when sending signals to a Dish receiver.  I really like the
CommandIR, it doesn't even require lircd.

Steve