A whosit or a whatsit?

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Thu Feb 21 22:27:57 MST 2013

What you want is an ATA (analog telephony adapter).  I am not sure of current models, older ones are like the linksys PAP2 or the Cisco SPA112.  They are usually 2 FXS ports and an Ethernet port, without frills should be around $50 each (new), less in bulk, and under $30 on eBay.  Make sure to get ones that are unlocked and not tied to a specific provider.

And you can setup asterisk with multiple trunks so us calls would terminate to a provider in the US, and local calls could be on a trunk locally, best rates where you can get them.  Just know that a T1 card can be fairly pricey (~$1k+, $2k for a quad card).

-Steve