A whosit or a whatsit?

Joel Finlinson joel at finlinson.net
Thu Feb 21 22:09:58 MST 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 9:46 PM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com>wrote:

> So continuing my adventures in Ecuador I'm looking at establishing
> VOIP service in a small community that has great internet access but
> where the landline cost per call is very expensive and cell service is
> sporadic.
> I think a couple of Asterisk servers could probably do most of the
> work especially since the majority of calls would be locals calling
> locals, we could completely bypass the incumbent telco for most use
> cases and I'm sure I can find terminating services for calls outside
> the local exchange area.
>
> I was talking with one of the local businessmen and was able to
> explain that there are devices that can directly connect an open port
> on his router to the pots line in his home and provide him with
> dialtone and direct dial service without the need to keep a computer
> on 24/7.
>
> For the life of me I'm now drawing a blank on what this device is
> called, or who the manufacturer(s) are.  This is going to be vital
> information if we move ahead with this service.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!

Not sure if this is what you're after or if they work in Ecuador.
www.ooma.com is the one that I really like.

I've tried www.magicjack.com, getjive.com, qwest's voip solution,
sunrocket.com (now defunct) and 8x8.com

I know magicjack works in Brazil because my friend and his wife took it on
their temple mission.

Lots of others exist like vonage.com, and phonepower.com.

I've never used voip.com or http://www.onesuite.com/voip but they look
interesting.

   Joel