A whosit or a whatsit?

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 21:46:06 MST 2013

So continuing my adventures in Ecuador I'm looking at establishing
VOIP service in a small community that has great internet access but
where the landline cost per call is very expensive and cell service is
sporadic.
I think a couple of Asterisk servers could probably do most of the
work especially since the majority of calls would be locals calling
locals, we could completely bypass the incumbent telco for most use
cases and I'm sure I can find terminating services for calls outside
the local exchange area.

I was talking with one of the local businessmen and was able to
explain that there are devices that can directly connect an open port
on his router to the pots line in his home and provide him with
dialtone and direct dial service without the need to keep a computer
on 24/7.

For the life of me I'm now drawing a blank on what this device is
called, or who the manufacturer(s) are.  This is going to be vital
information if we move ahead with this service.
Any ideas?

Thanks!