subject: Wine and Games under Linux

Jessie A. Morris jessie at jessieamorris.com
Thu Feb 21 08:59:45 MST 2013

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 13:28:16 DANIEL DAVID EGLI wrote:
> *I'm getting ready to go back to Linux after a long hiatus (don't ask, it's
> a long story that I REALLY don't want to get into!) and I have some
> questions that I'm hoping to get answered. Please bear with me if this is
> something that most of you already know. I assure I would not ask you if I
> had other avenues to get this information (again, don't ask. Please!).*
>
> * *
>
> *I have been hearing a lot lately about how Wine can supposedly run various
> Windows games. I admit it's been a few years since I looked at it, but
> doesn't stock Wine have a hard time on games?
You'd actually be surprised. I played Diablo 3 weeks after it came out with good results with just the stock Wine. There were a couple of bugs, but overall life was good. Wine has improved immensely over the past three to four years, especially for gaming.

For any and all of your "Will X run on Wine" questions, I will refer you to the AppDB: http://appdb.winehq.org/

>From what I see, Skyrim gets a gold rating,Starcraft gets a gold rating, Deus Ex: Human Revolution (patches) are Bronze if not Gold. Basically, most modern games work.

Also, be sure to take a look at PlayOnLinux. It's a nice little app that sets up a Wine Prefix for each of your games so you don't get conflicts. It makes installing things much more simple.

--
Jessie A. Morris
801-210-1526
jessie at jessieamorris.com