subject: Wine and Games under Linux

DANIEL DAVID EGLI ddavidegli at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 00:58:16 MST 2013

*I'm getting ready to go back to Linux after a long hiatus (don't ask, it's
a long story that I REALLY don't want to get into!) and I have some
questions that I'm hoping to get answered. Please bear with me if this is
something that most of you already know. I assure I would not ask you if I
had other avenues to get this information (again, don't ask. Please!).*

* *

*I have been hearing a lot lately about how Wine can supposedly run various
Windows games. I admit it's been a few years since I looked at it, but
doesn't stock Wine have a hard time on games? Especially
non-DirectDraw/Direct3D games that don't use Windows' window management
system? I know Wine is great for a lot of things, but unless the project
has massively improved since I looked about 3-4 years ago, you needed a
special port of Wine, like Cedega, to run most DirectX games and even that
didn't handle non-DirectX games necessarily very well. How well would the
latest sock version of Wine handle something like Spore, Oblivion, Diablo
III, BioShock, Deus Ex (any of them) or Skyrim, or even a simple, non-DX
game like one of the Virtual Villager games from Last Day at Work (ldw.com)?
I'd really like to know. I have a LARGE amount of games I'd like to play
under Linux once I get my Linux machine up and running, and I need to know
what program(s) and/or libraries I'd need in addition to the standard
install to play them. Most are DirectX based (primarily 3D, but a couple
older 2D games also), with a few non-DX games (like the Virtual Villager
games) added in to boot. Has anyone tried using the Windows version of
Steam under any version of Wine? While it's true that Valve is porting
their games to Linux and has released a Linux version of Steam it's also
true that there are very few games that are currently available under
Linux's Steam. So I would need to use Windows' Steam to get most of the
games I want to play.*

**

* *

*Also, speaking of gaming, any one know how many monitors can be connected
to a Linux machine running Nvidia's closed-source X driver and multiple
video cards? I.e. if I have, say, two GeForce 670 based cards in SLI
configuration, can I hook a monitor to each card, or, even better, hook up
three monitors at once? I seem to recall older versions of the Nvidia
driver supporting multiple monitors or SLI, but not both at once. Maybe
that's wasn't the case, but I do wonder. I'm hoping to build a monster
gaming box before too long, and would really prefer to be able to run
multiple monitors under Linux.*

* *

*Thanks folks! I appreciate your help in this!*

* *

*--- Dan*