Why is distclean called distclean?

Joshua Marsh joshua at themarshians.com
Sun Feb 10 11:26:46 MST 2013

Are you referring to the make targets in automake?

I think it is called "distclean" because it is related to "dist". 'make
clean' only removes files made by 'make' or 'make all'. 'make distclean'
will also remove all the files made by ./configure. So in a way, it's
preparing the directories for distribution. When you 'make dist', you don't
want to package up files ./configure made. It's common before making a
release to do something like:

make distcheck
make distclean
make dist

I haven't used automake in a year or so though, so my memory may be fuzzy.