Is it possible to detect if an email newsletter has been forwarded?

Ken Snyder kendsnyder at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 14:37:50 MST 2013

@John - Cookies are a good idea too. Looking at user agent, cookies and ip
address do suffer from a common drawback: a user who opens their email at
home and at work will appear as two different users.

@Jonathan - I know exactly what you mean. Our clients are generally
Outlook-entrenched corporate users who don't know what the phrase "plain
text" means, but some do have images disabled and so we never know they
open it. And of course the bigger problem is that seeing an email in your
preview pane does not mean you read it :)

Showing email stats to users has at least two major benefits: 1) It makes
them feel good and 2) It allows them to gauge popularity *relative
to*other emails they've sent. 1 is funny to me but sadly so many
applications
these days are more targeted to making people feel good than to giving them
good features and content.

- Ken

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Jonathan Duncan <jonathan at bluesunhosting.com