Is it possible to detect if an email newsletter has been forwarded?

Ken Snyder kendsnyder at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 13:10:58 MST 2013

We have an email newsletter that includes a tracking image, plus each link
contains a hash so that we know which recipients opened the email and who
clicked on what link.

The client is asking if it is possible to detect a) if that newsletter has
been forwarded to someone else, b) if that new recipient opens the email,
and c) if that new recipient clicks on the links.

My only thought is that we could make a loose inference of second-hand
opens and clicks by tracking the IP Address of each open and click. E.g. if
there are two clicks from two different IP Addresses it *could be* another
person.

Is there any other way to detect second-hand opens and clicks?

Thanks,

Ken Snyder