kinda OT: latest fun with Arduino, UI with a single knob/button and screen.

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 22:51:00 MST 2013

On Feb 3, 2013, at 10:21 PM, Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 13:51:46 -0700
> Levi Pearson <levipearson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's a great tool for embedded
>> development, because it's Way easier to debug on your build machine
>> than on your dev board!
>
> One of the things I like about Forth is that your target hardware *is*
> your development machine.

Yes, that is a very cool thing about Forth, but I still think there are many aspects of software more easily debugged on a machine with a full set of debugging tools.  It's nice to get segfaults on bad memory accesses instead of silent data corruption, for example.

A live programming environment on the target platform would be great for exploratory programming and determining exactly how the hardware actually behaves, though. Sometimes the data sheets and reference manuals aren't as clear as one would prefer...

Aside from Forth, which has fallen pretty far out of common use these days (as far as I have seen, anyway) there's a cool embedded version of Lua that can run on pretty low-powered hardware. It's not quite as powerful of a language as Forth, but probably easier to pick up and very easy to integrate with C.

        --Levi